Iron Deficiency Anemia: Symptoms and Treatment
Iron deficiency anemia is a condition of the organism during which it suffers from the lack of iron, which, in turn, leads to tissue hypoxia and a number of other adverse changes in the organism. According to statistics, about one fourth of the world's population suffers from the lack of iron in the body.
Iron is a part of hemoprotein, which transports gas. Erythrocyte hemoglobin carries oxygen to the tissues and relieves them from carbon dioxide. Iron mostly comes to the body from food of animal origin.
The causes of iron deficiency anemia
Iron deficiency in the body may be caused by the following factors:
- Significant or regular blood loss. For example, long-term and heavy menstrual flow, abortion, childbirth. Chronic bleeding in the digestive tract, nasal bleeding, hemorrhoids bleeding, hematuria, blood donation.
- Reduction in the intake of food containing iron, such as fasting or strict diet.
- Problems with the absorption of iron, for example, enteritis or gastrectomy.
- Violation of transportation, for example, glomerulonephritis with nephrotic syndrome, congenital deficiency of the transfer.
- The increased need for iron, associated with intensive growth or puberty or pregnancy, for instance.
Symptoms of iron anemia
Deficiency of iron in the body is manifested in two types:
1. Anemia. Disturbances, which occur in the synthesis of hemoglobin, reduce its overall amount in the blood. At this time, the following symptoms occur:
- Shortness of breath.
- Frequent headaches.
- General weakness.
2. Sideropenia. This type of iron deficiency is characterized by the following symptoms:
- Pale, dry skin.
- The skin becomes sallow, or gray.
- Dull hair.
- The appearance of early gray hair.
- Fingernails become flat.
- Cracks on the tongue and in the corners of the mouth.
- Atrophic gastritis.
- Muscle weakness.
- The weakness of the sphincters, such as urinary incontinence.
- The appearance of the perverted taste and smell, One begins to like the smell of gasoline and the taste of chalk.
- Reduction of the body's defenses, frequent colds and viral diseases.
- Reduction of the concentration.
- The decreasement of attention.
- Swelling of the lower extremities.
- Increased body temperature to subfebrile.
Treatment of anemia iron
To adequately treat this pathological condition, it is necessary to pinpoint the cause of it.
If the anemia is caused by bleeding, doctors should remove and treat the cause that provoked it. After that iron and a special diet to restore the normal amount of blood and its enrichment in iron is prescribed.
- Diet is one of the most effective methods of treatment of iron deficiency anemia. It should be remembered that, contrary to the opinion of the majority, it is best when the iron is not absorbed from fruits and nuts, but from meat, especially veal. Byproducts are also rich in iron, but its assimilation is difficult because there it is contained in the form of ferritin and hemosiderin.
- Iron supplements are recommended to be taken orally, if there is no stomach ulcer and duodenal ulcer or uncontrollable vomiting. Injectable iron supplements should be avoided, as they are used only in very severe cases. Iron supplements include salt and nonionic. The effectiveness of the two groups of drugs is almost identical, the only difference is that the non-ionic drugs have fewer side effects, such as nausea, staining of the teeth in black color, vomiting, a violation of the defecation process.
- Herbal medicine can only be used as an adjunctive measure to the basic treatment of iron deficiency. Most often to improve the absorption of iron such fruits and berries, as strawberries, nettles, wild rose, black currant, beet juice and pomegranate are used.