Storing Cord Blood: Pros and Cons
Despite the fact that in every maternity hospital the future mothers are offered the service as "preservation of umbilical cord blood" for almost ten years, all sorts of disputes still remain around this issue. So, take a look at whether or not to store the cord blood.
Benefits of cord blood preservation
- If the parents have agreed to pay for the service of long-term storage of umbilical cord blood of their baby, he or she receives invaluable and unique biological material using which to date more than twenty thousand people have saved lives and health.
- Today thanks to the young stem cells we have the opportunity to treat more than one hundred of the most dangerous diseases.
- Fence cord blood will absolutely not bring any discomfort to kid or his mother, since the procedure is completely safe.
- Umbilical cord blood is the most modern weapon against a wide range of diseases. Due to the fact that medicine is constantly studying stem cells, there are very high chances that in a few years, virtually all diseases will be treated with the help of stem cells, including the diseases, such as cancer, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease or AIDS. Dozens of the largest pharmaceutical companies are investing millions of dollars to study the functions of stem cells and their effect on the body, plenty of drugs based on these cells are created, so the prospects of Cellular Medicine iare quite promising.
- Today newborn umbilical cord blood may be needed, for example, for the treatment of hypoxic brain damage and other abnormalities that may occur as a result of a difficult birth.
- Retaining cord blood, parents will retain precious time looking for the donor if necessary (for example, if a child is diagnosed a serious disease that should be treated with the help of donor stem cells). Preparation of the samples of umbilical cord blood and removing them from the blood bank takes only a few hours after the request of the family of the cord blood owner will be sent and processed.
- The stored cord blood is a guaranteed biological insurance for a child in case he needs donor stem cells. It should be noted that the storage of umbilical cord blood will cost ten times cheaper than finding donor counterparts in foreign banks stem cells.
If you do not save the cord blood
- First of all, it will allow you to save money, but only if the child will never need his or her own stem cells during the life. In other words, if the child never gets sick with the diseases for the treatment of which there may be needed hematopoietic stem cells.
- Stem cells can be received during the life from the peripheral blood and bone marrow. But these cells are different from those obtained from umbilical cord blood as they have the imprint of life, sucha as the diseases that people suffered throughout the life; environmental conditions, where one lives and one's unhealthy lifestyle.
- If the baby needs stem cells, one's family or the child will be subjected to a two-hour operation, and it is a two-hour effect of anesthesia on the body, which greatly undermines health, and carries a serious risk of developing cardiovascular diseases and respiratory diseases.
- If a child suffes from a serious disease, it will be treated by traditional methods that have been tested. But such methods help not always, in most cases, they lead to a number of side effects.
- In case of of sickness, a child can use donor stem cells, which cost from fifteen to forty thousand dollars, and the waiting time for the selection and the shipment of the sample from the foreign banks can take from several weeks to several months.
- The amount of money saved for a minimum period of storage of umbilical cord blood approximately will be equivalent to the cost of 50 packs of diapers or annual insurance for the middle class car.
- Researchers Discovered New Source of Stem Cells
- Scientists Have Created A Unique Type Of Human Stem Cells
- When Does A Child Need Speech Therapist?