When Can I Have Sex After Childbirth
Timeframes of resumption of sexual activity after childbirth depend on several factors:
- How the birth went (wheather it was physiological, pathological, with tears or cesarean section) .
- Overall health of women after childbirth.
- Whether the uterus has contracted completely and whether the cervix closed that is needed in order to prevent infection
- Whether a woman has undergone the psychological adaptation to a new life.
General reccomendations of physicians are usually the following:
- If the birth took place in a normal way physiologically and there are no breaks, then you can resume sexual relations within 3-4 weeks after birth.
- If the birth was abnormal, there were tears or cuts, or the child was born with the help of caesarean section, the optimal time to begin sexual relations is no earlier than 6-8 weeks after the birth of the baby. Of course, provided that a woman feels ok.
Deviations from the recommended timeframes of deferral
Not all postpartum women adhere to the terms of abstinence, which encourages them to a gynecologist. Some resumed sexual relations before the required time, others, which is very common, do not have sex for three or more months after giving birth. Both in the first and in the second case there are a number of reasons why women do so.
The reasons for the early onset of sexual activity after childbirth:
- The presence of postpartum euphoria, that is a psycho-emotional recovery. Typically, such conditions can be experienced only after natural and uncomplicated childbirth.
- Woman's desire to quickly return her usual shapes, feel desired, to improve her self-esteem.
- In some cases, a woman is put under pressure by her partner, whom she is trying to please.
- If during pregnancy woman had to follow obligatory sexual abstinence for medical reasons, for instance.
- If women's libido after the childborth has significantly increased and a strong excitability occured.
Reasons for the late onset of sexual activity after childbirth:
- Chronic fatigue of a women.
- Fear of possible pain.
- Decreased sexual drive as a result of natural hormonal changes caused by the lactation period.
- Fear of women that the vagina is too stretched and her partner can notice it.
- Child absorbs all the time and there is no time for sex.
- Temporary psychological difficulties in relationships with partners associated with the emergence of the child.
- Domestic difficulties, for example, realtives who help to care about the child can spend the night in the house.
- The complex process of adaptation to the sleep mode of the child.
- The health status of women who can not enter into an intimate relationship.
The benefits of sex after childbirth
If you follow the advice of a gynecologist and resume sexual relations after childbirth according to you doctor's recommendation, then, without a doubt, the body will only benefit from such a decision. The main positive aspects of sex after childbirth are as follows:
- Strengthening of the walls of the vagina, which could stretch or deform during childbirth.
- Improvement of metabolic processes in the body.
- Restoration of mental and emotional intimacy spouses.
- The ability to quickly lose weight after giving birth and return previous shapes.
- Extreme hormonal change.
- Improving the work of the heart, blood vessels and respiratory system.
- Prevention of many diseases.
- Rejuvenating effect due to the release of endorphins.
- The regulation of the menstrual cycle.
- Removal of psychological stress .
- Improvement of self-esteem.
- A feeling of fullness of life.
- 10 Sexual Stories For Females
- Hyposexuality: Causes, Symptoms And Diagnosis
- What Prevents Women From Being Sexy