Otorrhoea: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
Otorrhoea is the isolation of fluid from the ears. This phenomenon can occur for a variety of reasons, including infection, trauma, inflammation, tumors and others. Otorrhoea can manifest as a symptom of a disease, such as earache, or it can be a separate phenomenon.
Classification of otorrhea
Depending on the fluid that flows out of the ear, otorrhea is divided into the following types:
- Bloody otorrhea.
- Purulent otorrhea.
- Sero-hemorrhagic otorrhea.
- Transparent otorrhea.
Causes and symptoms of otorrhea
There are many reasons that can cause otorrhea, but to determine them, one should take into account the degree and nature of the excretions and the duration of the process. Let's look through some of the most common causes of otorrhea and symptoms that accompany it.
- If the problem is in the central nervous system and if, for exmaple, epidural abscess occurs, the excretions from the ear will resemble the cream. In addition, the patient can have the following symptoms:
- High body temperature.
- Ear pain.
- Stabbing pain in temples.
- At the frction of the skull base there, can be observed watery, bloody or clear excretions with hemorrhages.
- During the diseases of the eye, ear, nose or throat, the excretions may be spotting.
- When the external ear canal dermatitis, excretions are usually watery and translucent.
- If there is a polyp of the ear, the purulent excretion will be mixed with blood, there will be an unpleasant smell.
- During seborrheic dermatitis, the excretions will resemble fat flakes.
- During acute Maringa, the excretions are sero-hemorrhagic,and during the chronic one, they include pus.
- When otitis, excretions are severe, yellow, purulent, thick. In chronic form of the disease, there can be observed scant purulent excretions of serous type.
- During benign tumors, there is onserved bloody discharge, for malignant neoplasms there is observed purulent, accompanied by itching.
- Allergies are accompanied by cloudy or clear discharge.
- In case of injury ther is bleeding.
Treatment of otorrhea
Generally, the treatment otorrhea is a complex process, which is based on the detection and treatment of the underlying disease,htat comes with otorrhoea. Thus, before you treat Otori, the physician must :
- Inspect the ears of the patient and learn the history of the disease.
- Take a sample of discharge from the ears and do tests, such as cytology and culture ones.
- Depending on the test results, your doctor may prescribes drops for your ears.
- Heating in the form of compresses or hot-water bottles is also useful.
- You can clean the ears with warm wet wipes.
- Until complete recovery, it is not recommended to wet ears. Take a shower only with cotton balls in your ears.
- Avoid drafts and hypothermia.
- Tinnitus: That Ringing In The Ears
- Influenza: Complications On Ears
- Russian Scientists Are Developing New Anti-Influenza Drug