Psychological Assistance For The Relatives Of Patients With Alzheimer's Disease
One of the most common signs of old age is dementia or senile dementia, which manifests itself in varying degrees for almost 75% of the elderly people. The main cause of dementia is Alzheimer's disease, which is characterized by manifested violations of intellectual abilities, as well as the loss of the basic skills aquired by person, which, in turn, affects the quality of life seriously.
What can help the relatives of patients with Alzheimer's disease
Diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease should be performed by a doctor only after various investigations of the patient. Unfortunately now the medicine is powerless against dementia, so the main task is to improve the quality of life of the patient is the responsibility of the family. Thus, these are the relativesthat are the main link between the patient and the outside world, their task includes measures aimed at restoring lost skills and improving living conditions of the ill person.
Psychological assistance for the relatives of patients with Alzheimer's disease
For most people who first come across Alzheimer's disease and are forced to care for their relatives who have dementia that progresses every next day, it becomes a real test. First of all, it is very psychologically difficult to accept the fact that the closest person begins to lose his or her intellectual abilities, loses basic household skills, can not recognize people, loses the ability to orient in space and so on. But as dementia is an irreversible process, it is necessary to reconcile family and try to improve the life of an elderly man who is now totally dependent on them for maximum .
Drug treatment of dementia in some cases helps to slow its progression. However, drug therapy plays a major role in the treatment of disease. A huge role in improving the condition of the patient plays a comfortable living environment, which should be formed around him or her. High-quality care, attention, care, leisure-time activities, physical activity and mental employment are important aspects in the daily life of the patient.
Without a doubt, the relatives of a person suffering from dementia have a great responsibility as caring for such patients can last for many years. It should be noted that in the process of care there should be involved not only close relatives, but also doctors, dedicated staff to care for the sick and elderly people and social workers.
Guidelines for the relatives of a person suffering from Alzheimer's disease
Communicating with patients suffering from dementia is almost always very difficult, because they can forget the word , the meaning of the phrases he or she says and, sometimes, just not recognize jis or her closest relatives. Therefore, while communicating with the patients you should follow these recommendations:
- Carefully observe the patient, his or her behavior and try to understand it.
- Completely abandon criticism.
- Do not pay attention to the mistake made by the patient.
- Organize a day regimen, which will include mental and physical activity.
- Ensure the safety of the patient.
- Take care and love him or her.
- Give the patient the opportunity to perform some action, it is importnat not to interrupt one while he or she is making statements, if a person has forgotten the word, do not help him or her to remember it. The patient must strain memory and mind.
- In communicae in a calm and simple manner and speek slowly.
- Environment in which the patient lives, should be as simple and convenient for orientation as possible.
- Walnuts Can Prevent Or Slow Alzheimer's Disease
- Alzheimer's Disease: The Role Of Genetic Factors
- Communicating With A Person Suffering From Alzheimer's Disease