Three Kinds Of Neuroinfections
Neuroinfections are infectious diseases, which are characterized by the damage of central nervous system, or any of its departments, such as spinal cord lining of the brain, the brain itself. The reason for the development of CNS can be viruses, bacteria, and, in rare cases, fungal microorganisms.
To date, there is known plenty of diseases subtypes that can affect the central nervous system, but there are to three most common types of infetsy:
Meningitis is an infection that mainly affects the lining of the brain. There are two types of infection:
- Bacterial meningitis. This is a very serious disease that can cause serious health consequences and in some cases even lead to death in case of incorrect or late treatment.
- Viral meningitis. This form of the disease is less dangerous than the bacterial one, but it is also quite difficult to be treated.
Cause of bacterial meningitis, which is much more common than viral, is usually a meningococcal or pneumococcal infection. The disease is accompanied by the following symptoms:
- The sharp increase in body temperature.
- Neck immobility (rigidity).
- Skin rashes.
- Severe headache.
- The main treatment implies antibacterial therapy.
During encephalitis main brain tissues, such as gray or white matters, are mostly damaged. The cause of the disease can be as viruses, such as neurotropic viruses that carry mites and bacteria streptococci or staphylococci. Most of the variations of this disease lead to a direct threat to human life, if the person does not take an active treatment in the early stages of the disease.
Symptoms of are distinguished by bright manifestation having a tendency to strengthen. Symptoms of encephalitis include:
- The sharp increase in body temperature, which is difficult to reduce with medical drugs.
- Violation of brain activity.
- Loose stools.
The main treatment that is used today for encephalitis treatment are injections of steroids, such as prednisone, and others. Along with it causal treatment, that is, the fight against the causes that led to the development of the disease, is used. It implies gamma globulin taking, for example.
Myelitis is a spinal inflammation. It should be noted that this type of neuroinfection has one of the most dangerous complications, even if adequate and surgical treatment is used to cope with it. Inflammation that occurs in the spinal cord kills nerve cells, which leads to paralysis, bowel and bladder dysfunction, a sharp increase in body temperature, decreased spinal reflexes, serious violations in the activity of the nervous system. Together with this inflammatory process there may occur other diseases, such as pneumonia, inflammation of the kidneys and others.
The main treatment implies applying myelitis glucocorticosteroid drugs and antibiotics therapy. In addition to the primary therapy it is necessary to actively treat comorbidities in order to avoid further complications . As the disease in most cases leads to paralysis or partial paralysis, special attention should be paid to skin care of the patient to prevent the occurrence of pressure ulcers.
- Special Brain Activity Leads To Overeating
- Destruction of brain cells can be stopped
- Neuroscientists Have Found A New Way To Expand Consciousness