Complications Of Untreated Dry Eye Syndrome
Dry eye syndrome is a complex disease that arises as a result of reduction in the amount or quality of the tear liquid that forms membrane on the of the eye tear. This membrane has a crucial function for the eyes, such as a protective, nourishing, lens.
Dry eye syndrome: Causes
- Eating disorders of the cornea.
- Excessive disclosure or incomplete closure of the optic fissure.
- Deformation of the surface of the cornea.
- The failure of the lacrimal gland due to inflammatory diseases of the conjunctiva migrated and dacryoadenitis.
- Menopause .
- Wearing contact lenses.
- Paralysis of the facial nerve .
- Multiple sclerosis, diabetes mellitus .
- Chronic inflammation of the glands of the century ( meybomit ) .
- Eye monitor and office syndrome ( caused by the effects of electromagnetic radiation equipment , office, computer screens , air conditioners ) .
- The operations carried out on the eyes.
- Taking certain medications such as tricyclic antidepressants , oral contraceptives , corticosteroids, antihypertensive agents , the installation of beta-blockers and other means.
Dry Eye Syndrome: Symptoms and Complications
- One of the symptoms of this syndrome is the feeling of an outer body in the eye. It is accompanied by a feeling of excessive tearing and is replaced in the future with feeling of dryness in the eye.
- One more symptom is when there is stinging and burning sensation in the eyes, especially under the influence of smoke, wind, air conditioning, heater and other irritants.
- Dry eye syndrome is characterized by photophobia, blurred vision in the evening and fluctuation in visual acuity during the day.
- For patients unpleasant symptoms appear when associated with application of neutral eye drops. At the same time, patients at the same time experiencing a burning sensation, pain in the eyes .
- Contaminating microparticles in the tear membrane, which cause discomfort to the patient are less frequent.
If the syndrome is not treated, it can significantly worsen the mood, well-being, the visual acuity of the patient. For such a person performance worsens, he or she becomes irritable and committed to privacy. Against this background, there may develop other eye diseases, which increase the risk of blindness.
Dry eye syndrome: treatment
Treatment is prescribed by the physician ophthalmologist after careful examination of the mucosa and cornea of the patient. Want to apply moisturizing eye drops (3 - 8 times a day) , take a multivitamin complexes, perform exercises for the eyes. In a complicated course of the disease you may need to perform the manipulation, which is to close the lacrimal canaliculus with a plug made of plastic or silicone.