Bone Density: Characteristics
Human bone density is measured by the level of content of inorganic compounds (e.g., calcium) in it. Diagnosis is made by means of computed tomography, low-intensity X-ray radiation and radioisotope scanning. According to the survey, they can determine the strength of human bones.
Every human bone volume decreases as we age, which is called "osteopenia". The bones become thinner, and start having more porous structure. This is due to the fact that the processes of formation of new tissue start to be slower in the bone with age. Thus, the processes of bone loss predominate over the process of regeneration. Inorganic compounds are washed from bones. As a result, bone strength is reduced and the risk of bone fractures uncreases. Osteopenia gradually leads to osteoporosis.
If bone density is below normal
If bone density is lower than normal, it is necessary to take measures to reduce the risk of fractures and increase bone strength. For strong bones, there can be used calcium-containing drugs and physical exercises, such as training on simulators, walking. For women, in addition to it, hormones to slow the process of catabolism during menopause are prescribed.
The study of bone density: for whom it is recommend
- Women during or after menopause.
- People who are genetically predisposed to osteoporosis.
- Women and men who have suffered bone fractures.
- People leading a sedentary lifestyle.
- People who are fond of caffeinated beverages, alcohol and smoking.
- People with adynamic physique and low weight.
- People who have to reduce the weight in recent years.
- After long-term use of steroid drugs.
- Women and men after forty years as a preventive examination.
Heavy or light bone
There is such a thing as "heavy" or "light" bone. Often people characterize each other's body type in such a way. Indeed, people differ in the skeleton density, the width and strength of bone. To determine what type do you think you have, test can be performed on the Solovyov index. To do this, measure the volume of your wrist using a centimeter or thumb and index finger of the other hand. Severe bone is considered if women girth is greater than 17 cm. and for men it is 20 cm. If you measure with your fingers and managed to close them, it means that your bone is light (narrow), if the fingers are not touching each other, the bone is hard (wide).
Boned people have short legs and wide hips, chest, shoulders.
People who have narrow bone proportions are more fragile. They have a narrow thorax, narrow hips and long legs.
- Can Phytoestrogens Enhance Bone Wellness?
- Systemic Bone Decline Found in Back Disorder
- Treatment Of Bone Cancer In Israel