Dry cough: why it is worth considering
Dry cough - is one of the most prominent symptoms of respiratory disease. Typically, dry cough, in most of cases, for example, such as SARS, after some time passes into wet, ie productive with sputum. If we consider the cough, in terms of physiology, it is a complex and rather complicated reflex, which is carried out with a sharp reduction of the respiratory muscles, because of what is happening and strong emission of air. For body, cough - a protective mechanism by which the airways can be purified from foreign matter, microorganisms of slime, and so on.
For dry coughing separation characteristic mucus or sputum and, in most cases, a cough lasting several days, after which develops in productive with sputum. But if a dry cough lasts for several weeks and is not observed dynamics to improve the well-being should take seriously to this symptom and always consult a doctor.
Causes of dry cough
There are many diseases which are characterized by a dry cough. For some it is just one of the first symptoms, for others - this is the main symptom of a serious disease. Which diseases can be dry cough:
- In the early stages of tracheitis - inflammation of the membrane of the trachea.
- In laryngitis - inflammation of the larynx. The disease may start with a light tickle in the throat, and after a few days, a dry cough.
- Allergic respiratory diseases, including asthma.
- Whooping cough - dry, "barking" cough - is the main symptom.
- When pleurisy (inflammation of the pleura ).
- Pneumonia is often accompanied by a dry cough.
- Different tumors in the lungs.
- Foreign bodies in the lungs or airways - dust, pollen and so on.
- Pulmonary tuberculosis.
There are two main varieties of dry cough, "barking", very shrill, sharp, surface dry cough typical for any SARS (if not promptly treated this cough, it is possible to mechanically damage the vocal cords); and "far" very dull, deep, dry cough can be a symptom of pneumonia or tuberculosis, and lung cancer.
Treatment of dry cough
main task of treating dry cough is to as quickly as possible become a productive cough. First of all, it is necessary to ensure that there were no complications, not to injure the airway, and is now not a bacterial infection, when the virus is caused by coughing. If the cause of the cough is not SARS, you should immediately contact your doctor, who can determine the cause and adequate therapy.
For the treatment of dry cough was the most effective, should:
- Provide patient copious drinking.
- Ventilate the room regularly, in which the patient.
- If the indoor air dry, be sure to moisturize.
- Do not use tools with a strong smell - aerosols, fragrances, chemicals and so on.
- Stop smoking, prevent ingress of cigarette smoke in the room.
- If the cough hurts at night, put the patient on two pillows to head was high.
- Interpreting Your Puzzle Cough
- As Parents Opt Out of Vaccine, Whoop Cough Cases Rise
- Inhalation From Cough