Cardiac catheterization is an invasive imaging procedure that allows the doctor to see how the heart. The procedure consists in introducing into the vein in the hand or foot long tube (catheter) with the help of X-ray machines, a catheter is fed directly to the heart. To re-create the image of the heart valves, heart chambers and coronary arteries through a catheter introduced a special contrast material.
What is cardiac catheterization
Your doctor may prescribe cardiac catheterization to:
- diagnosis (confirmation or evaluation) heart disease, for example, such as valve disease, coronary heart disease, aortic disease.
- Assessment of functional ability of the heart muscle.
- The definitions of treatment strategies, for example, to assign the bypass and so on.
It should be noted that in many clinics after the diagnostic tests using catheterization, the doctor may perform certain therapeutic or interventional procedures for opening clogged arteries and others.
Risks during cardiac catheterization
This procedure is generally considered safe, but like any invasive procedure, cardiac catheterization is accompanied by certain risks, which include:
- bleeding that occurs around the injection site.
- Irregular heartbeat.
- The formation of blood clots.
- The occurrence of stroke.
- Allergy to administration of contrast medium.
- Heart attack.
- Perforation of the vessel.
- Air in a blood vessel that can threaten the patient's life.
How to prepare for cardiac catheterization
- two weeks before the procedure is necessary to do chest X-ray to pass complete blood count, EKG, urinalysis.
- At the time of the procedure is given a hospital gown.
- On a diet to be followed prior to the procedure, tell the doctor or nurse.
- In advance you must tell your doctor if you are taking any medications or dietary supplements.
- Some patients doctor may assign the day of the procedure anticoagulation.
- Patients who suffer from diabetes should consult a doctor as taking drugs protivodeabeticheskie day procedure.
- If you have an allergy to iodine, latex, shellfish, rubber products, radiopaque substance, you must tell the doctor.
The whole procedure lasts about half an hour, but the preparation and recovery period can last a few hours, it is necessary to consider going to the clinic.