Shopoholizm: Disease or Hobby
Shopogolizm, or oniomania is a mental disorder during which a person feels happy only when acquiring another thing. In other words, this very thing shopaholic is not needed, it is important the process of acquiring. Shopping trip as a rite brings shopaholic fun is fun.
Is shopoholizm a disease?
For several decades around the notion of "shopogolizm" go controversy. Even the doctor is difficult to grasp the fine line that separates the ordinary fan buy something new from this, depending on new purchases. At what point does a harmless hobby turns into a mania? And why every year more and more people suffer oniomania? All these questions will try to find answers.
Shopoholizm is similar to alcohol addiction
American psychiatrists have begun to sound the alarm that shopogolizm long ceased to be a harmless hobby or stupid habit. Today, more psychiatrists see it as a disease that has its own stages, and requires adequate treatment. Australian psychiatrists supported by their American counterparts, and also began to consider this phenomenon as a pathology. In addition, shopogolizm closely associated with other mental disorders, which are determined by an overwhelming desire to accumulate unnecessary items.
Thus, each "a lover of garbage," or as they are called, "Plyushkin", this is the same "shopaholic" whose mental disorder covered by the presence of money or credit cards. Most shoppers suffering from depression, combined with some more mental disorder. The difficulty in diagnosing and treating oniomania is that most patients hide it, do not want to recognize or shy.
Like most psychological problems shopogolizm reason lies in childhood. Most often, this disorder is pursuing people who as a child was not enough parental love and attention. For example, a child growing up in the family, often incomplete, where the mother had to work hard to feed themselves, and lack of communication with children, she compensated for gifts. As a rule, in adult life such people triggered stereotype is a new thing of joy, happiness, pleasure.
Shopaholics any dissatisfaction with life, it does not matter, it's a failure at work, in your personal life or banal discontent own appearance, trying to compensate for the next purchase. And for a moment, they feel the satisfaction that goes, as soon as the door closes another store.
To one of the causes of shopogolizm scientists also include hormonal disorders. An experiment was conducted in which women with perdmenstrualnym syndrome (when hormone levels increased too, before the start of menstruation), went shopping. More than 90% of the participants of the experiment made hasty purchases, spontaneous, acquired things that they will never need. The result of the experiment prompted scientists to think that the development of oniomania is strongly correlated with hormonal disorders.
How not to become a Shopoholic
If you have already started to notice at shopogolizm dangerous symptoms:
- Constant thirst to visit the shops.
- The desire to buy something.
- The pleasure of viewing windows, fashion magazines.
- The desire to buy something unnecessarily.
- Congestion at the house of unnecessary things.
- Constant budget overruns or debts.
It is urgent to take action and begin to limit yourself by following the rules, otherwise the psychiatrist's office will become your second home. So, to avoid becoming a shopaholic, you must:
- Before each trip to the store to make a list and stick to it strictly.
- Take to the store only the amount that can be paid for what is listed.
- Never carry a credit card.
- In the days when not planned trip to the store, take the money only for travel and lunch.
- If you see a thing really want to buy, set aside a few hours, and it is better for a day. Maybe in a couple of hours it will not be you seem so necessary and attractive.
- Look for other activities and hobbies, the most diversify their leisure time.
- The money that you want to spend in the store, put on the journey.