Ingrown nail (onychocryptosis)
Onychocryptosis or ingrown nail most often occurs in the area of a big toe. Ingrown nail plate is usually accompanied by redness and inflammation of the skin around her and causes pain when walking. Onychocryptosis can occur at any age, even if the foot is carried out regular maintenance.
The reasons onychocryptosis
- Improper care of the nail plate, ie the nail shear wrong too deeply cut corners of the nail plate.
- Fungal nail disease, when the nail plate thickening, changes its structure, yellow and begins to crumble.
- The presence of flat feet.
- Wearing too tight shoes.
- Injury or leg injury, particularly in the area of the thumb and the nail.
- The structural features of the big toe, which contribute to ingrown nail plate.
The presence of even one of the above reasons can lead to inflammation and ingrown nail, and if the disease is properly treated, the disease can last for months or even years. In addition, ingrown nail can lead to hypergranulation, outgrowths of soft tissues that do not toe aesthetic.
Treatment of ingrown nail
is not recommended to engage in treatment of ingrown nail yourself. Treat onychocryptosis, usually on an outpatient basis in the clinic, in the event that there are no complications.
Conservative treatment Onychocryptosisinvolves taking baths for feet twice a day to soften the nail plate and reduce inflammation. It is recommended in warm water for baths add a few granules of potassium permanganate or soda. Between the nail plate and the skin effectively pave the gauze strips, which are impregnated with an antiseptic.
For the gradual extension of the nail plate, the physician can set a special device in the form of springs or clamps. Such devices are tiny and do not interfere with wearing shoes.
If the disease is in advanced stage, there was a pathological granulation or pus, surgical intervention is necessary.
Surgical treatment of ingrown toenail is to remove the nail plate or a part thereof under anesthesia. After that, for three months, until the new nail grows back it is necessary to carefully monitor the hygiene of the feet, as the nail bed will not be protected and could become infected.
But these days, for the treatment of this disease are increasingly using laser therapy, which helps to remove only part of the nail plate, as well as to eliminate possible infections, such as yeast.
Preventing ingrown nail
To prevent onychocryptosis, you must adhere to the following guidelines:
- Regularly monitor the hygiene of the feet - not excessively cut the nail plate, not round off the edges of the nail.
- Do not wear someone else's shoes, so as not to catch a fungal infection. The public bath and shower, be sure to wear rubber slippers.
- If you have flat feet, you must be sure to wear special orthopedic insoles, do regular foot massage.
- Give up wearing shoes, which puts pressure on the toes or too small.
- Avoid bruised legs and promptly treat the injury.
- What The Nails Say About Your Health
- Autumn Foot Care: How To Prevent Ingrowing Nail?
- Nail Fungus: Causes, Symptoms and Types