What To Do If Mercury Thermometer Was Broken?
Everyone knows that mercury is one of the most powerful poisons, thus, have toxicity even mercury vapor. It is obvious that when the mercury thermometer is broken - it's a disaster, since the impact of mercury on the stems and develops into small droplets, which are scattered throughout the room. Such drops can penetrate into the small gap remains between the fibers in the carpet and gradually evaporate, thereby poisoning the air. When a person breathes in this air, mercury builds up in organs - the liver, kidney, brain, and is the development of chronic intoxication with mercury vapor.
Symptoms of mercury intoxication
- Increased salivation.
- Metallic taste in the mouth.
- State of depression or depression.
- Tremor in the legs.
- Hand shake.
- Spasms of the body.
What should I do if broken mercury thermometer
Symptoms of mercury poisoning can lead to serious consequences, pathologic conditions that ultimately lead to death. Therefore, if the house is broken mercury thermometer, an urgent need to take action.
- The first thing to do - is to withdraw from the room of people and animals, which do not take part in cleaning. It is important to first isolate children who may be interested in silver balls on the floor and swallow mercury.
- The second step - call the MOE (phone - 101). As a rule, experts come and help remove all mercury from the premises. But if you can not call the MOE, it is quite possible to remove the consequences of a broken thermometer yourself. Cleansing the premises of mercury called - demerkurializatsiya.
Mercury elimination consists of the following activities:
- The room must be ventilated, open windows and doors. Ventilate the room must be within the next 7 days.
- The doors to other rooms must be securely fastened at all times while work is underway to remove mercury.
- Absolutely can not tolerate drafts, as they can move the balls of mercury in other rooms or break them into tiny granules that settle on furniture and other surfaces in the house.
- The beads of mercury must be collected, but this should be done only in rubber gloves. Preferably on foot wear shoe covers or plastic bags. And close your mouth and nose with gauze.
Never use a vacuum cleaner to collect mercury. Some believe that a vacuum cleaner to collect mercury can be, only then it should be thrown out. But this can not be done due to the following reasons:
- The vacuum cleaner as all appliances is heated, thereby promoting active mercury evaporation.
- The air that passes through the motor of the vacuum cleaner helps to ensure that its details which are made of ferrous metal, a film is formed of mercury, which is called - amalgam. Therefore, such a device begins to actively spread the mercury vapor, even if it is lying on the landfill.
- Finally, the air that comes out of the vacuum cleaner also has microscopic particles of mercury, which are scattered throughout the room.
- Collect mercury desirable conventional syringe or paper towels that are pre- wetted in oil or water. You can collect mercury adhesive tape, adhesive plaster, wet cotton balls. You can not roll in one drop of mercury, a broom to clean up, as it will break the bars of mercury into a fine dust.
- If the mercury was on the carpet, it should roll to the center of the room, turning all four edges. Then put in plastic and put outside. Hang up and knock, pre-bed under a polyethylene that mercury is not contaminated soil. Post a carpet hang a few weeks to the remains of mercury eroded.
- Things that got mercury should be aired in the open air for at least three months. Washed in a machine such clothes can not be! It is better to throw away immediately.
- The collected mercury is necessary to place a glass jar with water and close the lid.
- Do not throw the mercury in the toilet, garbage disposal or shake from the balcony. Mercury itself, as well as items that helped her collect, including clothing, boots, gloves and so on, should be given in the MOE.
To make sure that the room is no more mercury to invite specialists from Sanitary inspection them to check the concentration of Mercury vapor in the room.