How Dangerous Dry Air In The Room Is?
Cold weather is dangerous not only because of colds, but also due to a whole series of negative factors for our body, which in this or that way are related to the dry air in the premises. In autumn and winter most of the day we spend in a well heated rooms and the heaters and dried air are felt, especially in areas with plastic windows. So what is the danger of too dry air, and how to survive during the cold season with the least damage to health?
What is dry air?
Many people mistakenly believe that dry air is hot air, but it is not. Dry air may be cold, but it is a disadvantage of water molecules in vapor form.
There are such things as "absolute humidity" and "relative humidity". Humidity is the total number of water molecules, which can be located in the air. Relative humidity is defined as a percentage. For example, the relative humidity is 60%, i.e. there is 60 percent of the moisture in the air that may be there in the accordance with the laws of physics.
Normal moisture content for humans is from 40 to 60 %. If the humidity is below 40%, which means that the air is too dry, it can lead to health problems .
Humidity in the room: how to measure
To measure humidity household hygrometer, which is a device that resembles a normal thermometer is used. This device is inexpensive, so it is advisable to buy it for home and office.
But if there is no hand hygrometer, you can use the following method, for which you will need a regular glass of water that needs to be put in the fridge for two hours. After two hours, the glass should be put on the table, as far away from heating appliances as possible and observed for five minutes. If the walls of the glass get fogged up, but in just a couple of minutes get dry, this suggests that indoor air is too dry, its relative humidity is below 40%. If the indoor air is of normal a humidity, the glass wall will remain wet for five minutes or more.
Why dry air is dangerous?
Too dry indoor air negatively affects almost all organs and systems of the human body. Most suffer from dryness:
- Skin. It begins to lose moisture rapidly, dries up, starts to peel off and irritations, eczema, wrinkles may appear on it. This is especially noticeable on the skin of the hands.
- Eyes. If the room is dry, there is a rapid evaporation of tears, which maintains a constant humidity of the eyeball. If the eyes are wetted insufficiently, they suffer from the cornea and the risk of inflammation increases, eyesight worsens.
- The respiratory system. From drying of the mucous membranes of the respiratory system, the whole body suffers, since at this point the person becomes particularly vulnerable to viral and bacterial infections Especially dangerous is drying of mucous respiratory of children.
- The nervous system. During breathing air is too dry, the body does not receive enough oxygen, which leads to hypoxia. There may be symptoms, such as high fatigue, dizziness, bad mood, depression .
- Allergic reactions. People that suffer from allergies or asthma may experience more frequent attacks.
How to deal with dry air in the room
The main civilized way to overcome the dryness in the room is to home to buy a humidifier. But if you can not use this device, doctors recommend the following measures:
- Remove any excessive "dust collectors", such as soft toys, carpets, rugs and others.
- Do wet cleaning once or twice a day.
- Ventilate the room at least 3-4 times a day for 15 minutes. Be sure to ventilate it before bedtime. If possible, leave the window slightly ajar.
- Take bath or shower 2-4 times a day.
- Actively use moisturizers for the skin, such as lotions, creams, thermal water.
- For nasal cavity often use sea water, you can apply Vaseline to nose.
- So-called "artificial tears" drug can be applied to eyes, especially if you have to work in front of the computer screen for too long.
- Hang wet towels nearby heaters to maintain intensive evaporation.
- Buy decorative artificial reservoir for a bedroom, such as a fountain, from which water will evaporate and humidify the air.
- Some house plants for example, dracaena tsiperus, have the ability to secrete large amounts of moisture. If you are not allregic to them, a large number of plants will not only revitalize the interior, but also improve the air.
- Infection Spreads In The Office Within 2 Hours
- The Temperature In The House Can Spoil Spouses' Relatinos
- The Most Useful Houseplants For Home And Office