Vitamin PP: How Does It Work
Vitamin PP (vitamin B3, niacin, nicotinic acid) is one of the B vitamins that is involved in protein metabolism, processes of oxidation and reduction, as well as the metabolism of iron, cholesterol, carbohydrates. Vitamin B3 is soluble in water. As compared with other B vitamins group its chemical composition is more stable.
Functions of Vitamin PP
Vitamin PP performs the following functions:
- included in the enzymatic redox composition,
- reduces glucose in the body,
- increases in liver glycogen,
- involved in the metabolism of pyruvic acid,
- normalizes blood cholesterol;
- affect dilation of arterioles and capillaries,
- reduces and increases arterial, venous pressure,
- increases blood flow velocity, speeds up the heart rate, and
- in the cerebral cortex activates the process of braking
- involved in the metabolism of fat, carbohydrate, energy,
- has anti-sclerotic effect, lowers cholesterol ,
- extends cardiac vessels, is the prevention of the acute form of angina and heart attack,
- improves digestion, general health,
- reduces headaches.
Exchange of nicotinic acid is closely related to the exchange of the protein, so the lack of protein in the body increases the excretion of vitamin PP in the urine.
Vitamin PP is involved during formation of the enzymes needed for cell tissue oxygenation as well as absorption of fats, proteins and carbohydrates. Niacin is involved in more than fifty enzymatic reactions and is essential for healthy digestive tract, mucous language, skin, formation of erythrocytes (red blood cells).
Vitamin PP is needed to produce a variety of vital hormones, and is also involved in the process of regulating the body's response to the hormone insulin responsible for the transport of glucose into cells and storage in muscle and liver.
Niacin is involved in the reconstruction of cells at the level of DNA, RNA due to the harmful effects of drugs and viruses in the body.
Vitamin PP is needed for the healthy functioning of the brain and central nervous system.
Daily Requirement for Vitamin PP
Daily niacin depends on the age and activity of work. Usually for men the figure is 13-28 mg., For women - 12-20 mg. For women, the rate should increase in cases of:
- neuropsychological surge;
- pregnancy and breastfeeding;
- intense mental and physical activity;
- receiving sulfonamides, antibiotics, other chemotherapeutic agents,
- in cold or hot climates.