Co-washing: Hair Washing Without Shampoo
Co-washing or no-poo implies hair washing without shampoo, but only with the use of hair conditioner.
Many people know that most shampoos for hair washing include laureth or lauryl i.e. surfactants which has the property of profusely forming a foam, thereby helping to thoroughly wash hair and scalp. However, these chemicals are harmful to an organism, dry scalp, make hair more thin and brittle. Even so-called organic shampoos, which form a small amount of foam, contain a small amount of harmful substances.
Therefore, a method was devised to treat hair in a more gentle manner, i.e. washing it with a single unit. Of course, air conditioning also contains surfactants, but they contained in much smaller amounts than in conventional shampoos, thereby care for the scalp and hair is considered to be the most gentle, especially for those who have brittle hair by nature.
For whom co-washing is suitable?
- Co-washing is ideal for those who have long and curly or frizzy hair by nature or for those who have such hair after permed.
- This way of hygienic care is also suitable for people with rigid or brittle hair, as well as those who often use styling hair dryers, irons and various styling tools.
- Dry and colored hair will be "grateful" its its owner will refuse from the use of shampoo, at least temporarily.
But co-washing is not suitable for people with oily hair and scalp, as the air conditioner can only exacerbate the problem. Owners of thin hair also will not be able to appreciate the benefits of co-washing, as air conditioning in large numbers can make their hair heavy and unruly.
What conditioner to choose for co-washing
There is a series of air conditioners, which are united by one common name that is "cleansing conditioners". The composition of such assets include a certain amount of cleaning agents, so they can fit even for those who have thin hair, because they do not contribute to their weighting, and well washed off with warm water.
But if you have dry, curly or colored hair, you can try using long proven air conditioner fro co-washing. The only condition is that it should not contain silicones that are not fully soluble in water and will create the effect of dirty hair.
To properly wash your hair using the technique of co-washing it is necessary to adhere to the following algorithm of actions:
- Profusely cover hair with warm water for the hair conditioner to evenly cover the sculp and remove all dirt and styling tools.
- Squeeze out some hair conditioning on your hand. The amount of it must be more than the one you use for washing your head with a traditional shampoo. For example, if you have your hair down to the shoulders,it is usually sufficient to have teaspoon of the conditioner, then for co-washing you need 3-4 times more amount of that means to completely covers all of the hair.
- Hair conditioning means should be spread over the entire length of the hair and carefully massagedstrating from the area of the scalp and ending at the entire length of hair.
- To enhance the effect, it is desirable to leave it on the hair for five minutes. Then rinse it with plenty of warm water and then wash it of with cool one.
- Dry and style your hair as usual.
After applying the co-washingahair becomes wet, healthy and shiny, so it will need less styling than usual.
If you have already mastered the technique of co-washing and were satisfied with your hair, you should never give up shampoo. Depending on the type of hair and the result, which was obtained after regular use of hair conditioner, washing your hair with shampoo from time to time it is necessary. Those who have hair porous and whose hair absorbs too much hair conditioner should wash their hair with shampoo every 10-12 days. If one's hair is in good condition, it is possible to use shampoo every 3-4 weeks, it is desirable to choose shampoo, which included no sulfates.