Stuttering Among Children
Stuttering among children is also known as dysrhythmia, pace and fluency, which are associated with seizures of muscular system respobsible for speech. Clinical signs of stuttering is an involuntary interruption of speech, pronunciation of words in syllables or sounds, repetition of words or parts of words.
Primary stuttering usually occurs between the ages of two to five years, at an age when there is a formation of speech. According to statistics, about 2% of pupils and 1.5% of adults suffer from stuttering.
In most cases, lead to stuttering following factors:
- strong mental strain.
- The psychic injury.
- A strong fear.
- Pathology of the nervous system, for example, which arise under the influence of infectious diseases (encephalitis, meningitis, etc.).
Experts note that left-handed children more likely to suffer from stuttering. In addition to stuttering causes too complex for the child's perception of speech of others.
It should be noted that even if there are several factors that can trigger stuttering a child, not all children are exposed to it. Risk factors include: the
- presence of autonomic disorders.
- The presence of congenital of neuropsychiatric diseases in the presence of CNS.
- Nervousness is a character trait of the child.
- Night terrors in the child.
- Passion for video games.
- If you have a family history of stuttering relatives.
- Violation of the regime of the day .
- Lack of sleep.
- Poor living conditions.
The treatment of stuttering among children
Risk of stuttering is that the longer a child stutters, then the more difficult to get rid of. Stuttering subsequently leads to many psychological difficulties. Even in adult life for people suffering from stuttering, it is difficult to arrange his personal life, a career, and more. Therefore, it is important to begin treatment immediately after the child began to stutter, that is two to four years. The ideal option to start to deal with stuttering immediately after the period of the so-called "predzaikaniya", which, as noted by many parents, lasts from a few hours to days. At this time, the child stops, do not talk, and then it comes back, but with the obvious disorders.
There are many methods of treatment of stuttering in children, but the greatest effect can be achieved by using several methods in combination. The main directions in the treatment of stuttering children should be classified as follows:
- Classes with speech therapist. The specialist will help teach a child to speak fluently, select a specific rate of speech, tone of voice. Classes with speech therapist eliminate psychological anxiety, help to interest the child to speak correctly.
- Sessions with a psychologist. If stuttering - a consequence of trauma such classes are required.
- Breathing practice. Proper breathing will help your child relax and strengthen the articulation apparatus.
- Drug therapy. Taking certain of drugs needed if stuttering was the result of congenital or acquired neurological abnormalities.
- Computer simulators. There are special computer programs that simulate the sessions with a speech therapist. They can be used as an addition to the main occupation.
- Physiotherapy, massage, reflexology, exercise, hypnosis is shown to relieve nervous and muscular tension in the child.
What should parents do
at home, basic treatment to bring a greater effect parents need to follow some recommendations:
- strictly follow the regime of sleeping and waking the child. Children need to sleep a lot, to the nervous system to work normally.
- Before going to bed is not giving your child watch TV, read better. Total TV viewing should not exceed the allowable time for a certain age.
- Follow bearing a child for poses during a call. Do not allow the child looked askance, forcing his chin to hold that it was formed correctly.
- If the child is too excited or nervous, to give sedatives (after consultation with the pediatrician).
- Avoid noise, abuse, quarrels, conflicts in the presence of a child.
- Most encourage and praise the child to show their love and care.
- To speak with the child only the right and slowly.
- Practice breathing exercises at home.
- Hooking speech therapy skills.
- More than a walk on the street.
- Promptly treat acute respiratory infections and colds.